Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pinned Image Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese & Honey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

So I've taken to getting recipes (and by recipes, I mean 3) off Pintrest. This is a mistake. The pictures always look phenomenal, but clearly these people are professional photographers and not chefs.

4 sweet potatoes
2 cups red, seedless grapes
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil (or another high heat oil)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces goat cheese
2 tablespoons honey + additional for drizzling
pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg

So this recipe said to bake sweet potatoes at 350 for between 45-60 mins wrapped in tin foil. I did 50 and they were hard as ROCKS. Damn.

So it said to coat the grapes in grapeseed oil (.....seems like coating olives in olive oil, but what do I know) and bake them 20 mins at 450 degrees. Within 10 minutes I had grapes EXPLODING in my oven. Wtf?! It sounded like there was a possessed baking pan in there, which I guess to an extent was true. I know if I open the oven I will be hit with scalding grape juice shrapnel so I just duck and cover til the time goes off.

So at this point I panic and call my Mom. She tells me in 50 years of baking she had never roasted grapes, and "what the hell" was I thinking. I try to pass it off as some hot new thing. She humors me and tells me to do the potatoes for 400 degrees for at least 30 more minutes.....I fail to understand how the original recipe could be more than 30 minutes and 50 degrees off, but whatever.

So here's what the grapes were supposed to look like according to the recipe pictures.....

And here is what they actually looked like (even after taking them out early)




Note to self: Don't do experimental cooking with someone else's pans.


So after doing what my mom said to the potatoes, they were A LOT softer, but still not great. But at this point it had been an hour and a half and I'd had enough so I mixed into the goat cheese and spices anyway. The recipe said to gently gut the potatoes and preserve the skin so you could put the mix back in them. It's supposed to look like this:

So I was careful to preserve the potatoes as I gutted them gently and with the utmost skill.......


Personally I don't think I screwed up. The skins clearly committed suicide rather than face the oven again. I was able to patch one of them up enough to restuff it.



Final Evalution:
Kitchen Damage: Not sure that pan will be saved, but otherwise it wasn't too messy. Exploded grape guts all over my oven though 

Worth the effort: If the damn potatoes had cooked right, it wouldn't have been too bad actually

Taste: Actually....besides being cold by the time I got to eat it, it was fairly tasty.....although my stomach does hurt now.....

Lessons learned: I either need to learn what a standard sweet potato size is, or figure out if my oven temp is wonky.....also, don't mix beer, migraine meds, and baking.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet potatoes are the bane of my existence. I love them, they taste so damn good, and I couldn't cook them to save my life. They always end up undercooked no matter what.

    It does sound like your oven temp is off though.
    I also have never heard of baking grapes in the oven. Perhaps you were supposed to bake them in a different sort of pan? A smaller glass pan perhaps? I don't know. It is new to me.

    I wouldn't have ever tried this because honestly it sounds disgusting, but I am sure it is good to someone.

    I applaud you though on trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that baking the potatoes in tin foil actually makes the skins soggy, so its weird that this recipe recommended it, considering you need to preserve the skins and have them hold their shape.

    I recommend buying an oven thermometer and replacing your roommate's pan. I'm glad it at least tasted ok.

    ReplyDelete